Saturday, April 12, 2008

Who says you can't....


Last year someone (I think it was a SIL) told my Dad that lilacs wouldn't grow in Texas. Now, all my life I have been told that when my Grandmother needed to reprimand one of her kids she would send them out to the lilac bush to cut a switch. AND, if it wasn't big enough, you had to go get another one. I guess Dad had to cut many a switch for himself, 'cause he sure did like to tell us that story.

Anyway, Dad went all over town looking for a lilac bush, but none were to be had. I was looking at Southern Living magazine on one of the many trips to a doctors office, and there was an article about lilacs and which variety would grow in our part of the state. I ordered one and it came while I was in SC last summer. Needless to say, Mom and Dad planted the little thing in the middle of the front yard (not my choice of locations, but oh well) and durn if it didn't survive the winter and is now in bloom. It is not a very big thing, but it is blooming...Praise God.

On the other hand, Sean and I tore out the vegetable garden in the back. I am going to decrease the size of the bed and plant some kind of flowers there. It is against a chain link fence, so I think some kind of vine would be nice. Some perennials, so that I don't have to mess with planting every year. I am just not the gardener my Daddy would have liked me to be. I think I will also do some upside down tomatoes, so that Mom can pick them without having to get into the garden. (She fell in the squash last year and Dad couldn't get her up so she is not allowed in the garden any more.)

Tomorrow some of us are going to the Bluebonnet Festival in Chappell Hill. I will let you know all about it later.

3 comments:

charlestonyaya said...

Let me know if those upside down tomatoes work!?! love ya, K

KK said...

One K - so glad to see you are posting again........I've been checking periodically but must have skipped the past two weeks. Hang in there and come see us!

Carolinian in Texas said...

Thanks, KK...It was a tough few months, but I think I am back in the groove. I will try to do better.